Sexual Attitude Reassessment
Hosted by Dr. Sara Nasserzadeh
12 CEUs for LPC, LMFT, LCSW, Psychologists, AASECT
This SAR fulfills the 10-hour requirement toward AASECT Certification and earns 12 AASECT CEUs
Please join the Southwest Sexual Health Alliance for the premier of The SSHA SAR Experiential Weekend with Dr. Sara Nasserzadeh.
KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD.
This is our city motto and is upheld by the people, the venues, and the culture. Come experience a one of a kind weekend in the deep South of Texas.
This is a dynamic, experiential weekend that provides a real life opportunity for educators, counselors and therapists to get back in touch with their beliefs and attitudes toward various aspects of human sexuality. Participants will be exposed to material in different formats (media, experiential exercises, reading, group discussions, role-plays, etc.) and will be given a safe and supportive environment to discuss their reflections. There will be self reflection time as well as guided small group discussions.
A SAR, if provided in an authentic, skillful and holistic way, is not just another training that you attend, it will be a life changing experience. Many of the SAR participants will remain friends and supportive colleagues for life through this shared journey.
A SAR is a structured group experience consisting of a process-oriented exploration of the applicant's own feelings, attitudes, values, and beliefs regarding human sexuality and sexual behavior [e.g., a Sexuality Attitude Reassessment (SAR)].
A SAR is a tremendous experience of learning and growth for therapists, educators, medical professionals or anyone interested in expanding and challenging their sexual self awareness.
The American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) requires the completion of an attitude/values training experience as one of the requirements for certification as a sexuality educator, counselor or therapist. Certification is an important part of practicing in the field of sexuality, and candidates most often satisfy this requirement by participation in a Sexual Attitude Reassessment Seminar (SAR). Requirements for certification can be found on the AASECT website at www.aasect.org under the tab For Professionals.
- Friday, 5:15m - Meet & Greet w/ Dr. Sara, 7:30pm sex-positive venue
- Saturday, 9:30am to 5:30pm SAR
- Sunday, 9:00am to 3:00pm SAR
Participants will be able to:
- Understand and articulate their values, attitudes and beliefs about a wide range of sexual expression and behaviors. A;O
- Describe aspects of human sexual behavior and/or sexual expression that represent areas for further professional exploration. A;O
- Distinguish between one’s own values, attitudes and beliefs and those of others (including cultural and religious values). A;O
- Utilize effectively the exposure to new or different aspects of human sexual expression in their clinical and/or sexuality educational work. A;O
- Describe elements of sexual expression or sexual behavior that are appealing for personal exploration. A;O
- Define specific sexual behaviors or sexual expression that are not within their comfort zone or cultural norms. A;O
- Discuss variants of sexual behaviors, tendencies and preferences (including but not limited to heterosexual, homosexual and bisexual). A;C;F;M;O
- Evaluate and discuss the life experiences and presentations from a spectrum of trans persons, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values. A;C;D;O
- Discuss factors within the area of sexuality and chronic conditions including issues related to differently abled individuals, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values. A;C;H;O
- Discuss and describe the importance of linguistics in addressing psychosexual issues and its impact on therapeutic outcome. C;F;O
- Articulate and analyze their responses to the media showing a wide range of BDSM/kink/fetish behaviors, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values. A;C;F;O
- Define and discuss elements within the media showing extreme body modification and genital practices, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values. A;C;F;O
- Define and discuss aspects of sexuality and spirituality, especially through a self-awareness activity, and the impact it has on the participant’s attitudes and values. A;C;D;O
Sara Nasserzadeh, PhD DipPST, is a social psychologist, AASECT Certified Sexuality Counselor, and a COSRT accredited psychosexual therapist. She is globally recognized for her contributions to the field of sexual and reproductive health at the clinical as well as policy and educational levels.
Dr. Nasserzadeh is an award-winning author, BBC host, consultant and a technical advisor to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). She has worked globally (across 30 countries) helping various organizations, companies, communities, programs, and causes in the capacity of a thought leader in the sociocultural aspects of human sexuality and effective communication with hard-to-reach groups including adolescents, refugees and religious minorities.
In addition to her clinical and consulting works, Dr. Nasserzadeh, contributes to the professional organizations in leadership capacities; to name a few, for the World Association for Sexual Health (WAS), Dr. Nasserzadeh is an elected member of the Advisory Board and chairs the Middle East Sexual Health Committee. She was also elected to serve on the standardizing working groups for sexuality education as well as psychotherapy, which devise the standard of practice for these professions. She is also the Chair of the North American Organizing Committee for the World Sexual Health Day (annually held on September 4th).
Nasserzadeh became a member of the American Association for Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) as a student in 2006 and then served as a regional representative for Europe and UK for four years prior to serving as a regional representation for Europe, UK, Middle East, Australia and New Zealand in 2008. She was elected as a member of Board of Directors at AASECT in Summer 2014, Dr. Nasserzadeh Chairs the Communication Steering Committee which oversees the Contemporary Sexuality, website and member’s list-serve. She became an AASECT certified Sex Therapist in 2007, after her move to the United States, she continued as a certified Sexuality Counselor to date. In 2013 She has become an AASECT approved training provider (to be renewed for 2016 onward).
Dr. Nasserzadeh has been a keynote speaker at various conferences and the recipient of numerous awards including the World Association for Sexual Health runner up award for Excellence and Innovation, for her international work in the area of sexuality education and sociocultural sensitivity (Sydney, 2007). She received the BBC World Service Award for "Innovation of the Year" for her radio/online program on sex and relationship issues (London, 2007). The book she co-authored with three esteemed colleagues was granted the AASECT Book Award Honorable Mention in 2011.